1 pack of chicken drumsticks
1/3 cup water
1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil
1. In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour, pepper, salt, and garlic powder
3. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
4. Dip the chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
5. Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Fry the drumsticks for 10 minutes, flipping at the 5 minute mark with tongs.
6. Only cook a couple legs at a time so you don’t overcrowd the pot. Cover a large plate with paper towels to set your chicken on after removing from the oil.
The original recipe before my tweaks can be found here: Paula Deen Southern Fried Chicken